August 16th is National Rum Day. Say that again with me…National Rum Day. The words roll off the tongue like sweet sweet music. No the banks won’t be closed, school won’t be canceled and likely no mention of this glorious day will be reported on by national news. That’s okay though, I know thousands of you Castaways will be celebrating National Rum Day with your glasses raised high toasting to this fine spirit.
Name your top 5 sipping rums?
Rum may have started in the Caribbean, but today it’s a world wide phenomenon. Rum has spread it’s delicious wings and is being embraced by distillers and consumers round the world. Earlier this year in Miami while I was at the Rum Renaissance Festival I spoke with rum makers from Germany, England, Tahiti and other non-Caribbean places you wouldn’t think great rum would come from but does. The popularity is growing and I see National Rum Day becoming bigger and bigger. Who knows, maybe one day they will close the banks on August 16th. One can only hope.
Name your top 5 rum cocktails?
Some rums are great to sip on, some rums are great to mix. I’m a fan of both, but nothing makes you feel like you’re in the islands quite like a fruity concoction splashed with good rum to relax away the day. Here are a couple new drinks and a couple all-time favorite Boat Drinks to celebrate National Rum Day with.
Cruzan “Don’t Hurry” CaneIngredients:
- 1 part Cruzan® Vanilla Rum
- 2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 Lime WedgesMixing Instructions: Combine 2 of the lime wedges, sugar Cruzan Vanilla Rum in a tumbler and lightly muddle for ten seconds. Add Cruzan Aged Light Rum and a scoop of ice and shake hard for 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled Hurricane glass and garnish with the final lime wedge.
Captain Morgan Black & Honey
- 1.25 oz. Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum
- .75 oz. fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz. honey
- 1 lemon wedge
Mixing Instructions: Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until cold. Strain into a rocks glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.
- 4 oz cream of coconut
- 2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
- 1 oz Dark Rum
- 1 oz Dark Creme de Cacao
- 4 oz milk
Mixing Instructions: Combine ingredients with two cups of ice in a blender. Blend until smooth, and serve up in two 12 oz cups. Raise glass and toast.
Mai Tai Recipe (The Original)
- 2 oz. of 17-year old J. Wray & Nephew Rum over shaved ice
- Add juice from one fresh lime
- 1/2 oz. Holland DeKuyper Orange Curacao
- 1/4 oz. Trader Vic’s Rock Candy Syrup
- 1/2 oz. French Garier Orgeat Syrup
Mixing Instructions: Shake vigorously. Pour over crushed ice. Add a sprig of fresh mint.
Soggy Dollar Pain Killer Recipe:
- 2 oz dark rum (I prefer Cruzan)
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz orange juice
Mixing Instructions: Add all the ingredients to mixing glass. Shake well. Pour into glass with ice. Grate fresh nutmeg over the top. Raise glass and toast.
There you go, five rum drinks to celebrate National Rum Day with. I had to toss the Painkiller on to this list, wouldn’t be National Rum Day without it! Feel free to post a photo of your celebrations on the RumShopRyan Facebook page. I’ll be breaking out the good stuff, toasting to all of you rum loving, island crazy Castaways later on tonight.