This Is Why I Live In Southwest Florida

This website is dedicated to the beauty and wonder of the Caribbean, but every once in awhile I’ll post something about my backyard, southwest Florida. Today is one of those days, and you’ll be glad it is.

As many of you know I moved from Kansas to the Naples/Ft. Myers area back in 2001. Before that move I had never been to the area, never head much about it, I just knew it was on the coast and that’s where I needed to be. Fast forward 12 years and I still pinch myself when the coastal beauty of the area displays itself before my eyes. And display it does in this brand new jaw-dropping video called Awaken. All I can say is wow….goosebumps. I’ll shut up and let this stunning visual representation of Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel Island and the surrounding areas do the talking. Buckle up.

Awaken: The Beaches of Fort Myers and Sanibel

Awaken is a first-of-its-kind, digital ecological calendar, combining time-lapse photography with an online calendar that reminds users of the many, year-round, natural seasons and migrations of The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel.

The video was released yesterday by the Lee County Visitors and Convention Bureau at a special tourism meeting. It was produced by CMP – Cameron Michael Productions.

Southwest Florida

Southwest Florida

Sometimes I think about moving to the Florida Keys or the USVI, then I’m reminded by something like this video that southwest Florida is a true coastal paradise. I’ve seen just about the entire state of Florida; Tampa, St. Pete, Miami, West Palm, Orlando, Pensacola, Daytona and everything in between–and honestly, nothing beats southwest Florida…nothing.

If you have a story about southwest Florida, or maybe you moved here from someplace else, I would love to hear your story.  Leave us a comment below and tell us about it.

Cheers to being “Awakened” to the beauty of SWFL.

By | 2016-12-31T11:58:35+00:00 October 4th, 2013|Southwest Florida|9 Comments

1. sjacob October 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

Don’t take it for granted! Today I woke up to 2″ of snow. 🙂

2. RumShopRyan October 4, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Brrrrrrr! I heard about that snow storm on the news, it’s too early for all that! Stay warm Scott, sending warm Caribbean winds your way my friend!

3. NancieM October 5, 2013 at 7:03 am

WOW! Just…WOW!

4. West Palm Beach News Blog October 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

Awaken To The Caribbean

[…] of a widget area that you can place text to describe a product or service. You c […]

5. Luke January 21, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Ryan – wife and I are making our first trip to the Ft. Myers area in early March – we are beach and water lovers, and just general outdoors exploration seekers in general. Any must-do things or spots to visit while there? Thanks bro, love the site.

RumShopRyan January 21, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hi Luke, thank you. There’s lots to do and see here. For outdoor activities I recommend spending a day at Lovers Key. It has a great beach, lots of hiking trails, and a lot of back water to explore by kayak. Lovers Key is just south of Ft. Myers Beach. I’d also recommend renting a pontoon boat at Salty Sam’s Marina or Fish Tail Marina. Lots of back bays to explore and you can pull the boat up on the the beaches to relax. Something else that’s really cool is taking the Captiva Cruises ferry up to Cabbage Key. It’s a small island in Pine Island Sound with a great old inn/restaurant on it. Some walking trails there as well. They serve amazing Key Lime pie and Cabbage Creeper drinks! Hope that helps!

7. household moving companies in maryland September 22, 2014 at 4:29 pm

They come in all shapes and sizes, plus many come with attachments to make traversing stairs even a piece of cake.
    Video Production improved presented impressing are sure to appeal video
    companies’ middle and old, large and small, traditional in a valuable and meaningful subject.
    Getty Center is renowned for its architecture, gardens, and views overlooking Los Angeles.

* Storage facilities can be availed for short-term or long-term needs.
    The Nissan Altima is a good choice among midsize cars.
    Carpet cleaning in best can be done through any cleaning machine.
    Many of these companies offer on-site shredding services
    with the help of mobile California document shredding trucks.
    Systems Administrator career opportunities along with technology Jobs and career are admirable for well-known image in the field of business.
    There are a number of parameters which make it to the ideal cleaning system.

They will shift entire home stuffs to the desired destination with any damage.

8. Wilson July 13, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Hi, I don’t have a story from SW Florida as of yet, but i’ve been reading a lot about it, and I made up my mind to move there, to Cape Coral. I have been living in CT for six years, moved here from the DR, and I’m sick of this humid weather, and the depression that comes with it.. I’M Going Back to my Warm Weather!!

9. limokingnyc May 10, 2017 at 7:04 am

nice post, thanks for the share