Driving Over The Fort Myers Beach Bridge…Over and Over and Over

When I first moved to southwest Florida from Kansas City in 2001, I had heard Fort Myers Beach was the happening place to be. It had waterfront restaurants, beach bars, live music and damn good rum runners. Fort Myers Beach is actually the City of Fort Myers Beach and is an long barrier island. Only two ways on, only two ways off. A true “gone coastal” type of place.

At the time I lived down in Naples and didn’t know much about the area. Had no idea I could easily get to Fort Myers Beach by driving up Bonita Beach and going over the Big Carlos Pass Bridge. In a way I’m glad I didn’t know about the southern route on to the island, because experiencing Fort Myers Beach for the first time should undoubtedly be from the north, driving over the wonderful Fort Myers Beach Bridge.

The Fort Myers Beach Bridge, actually named Matanzas Pass Bridge, reaches 65 feet into the air and rewards those who travel over her stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico, Sanibel Island, all of Fort Myers Beach and on clear days even the highrises of Naples.

I still remember that day back in 2001 when I first drove over the bridge. I was by myself and once I reached the top and saw all the beauty that was splayed out before me, my jaw literally dropped and a hushed “wow” floated from my mouth.

Still to this day, I get excited about driving over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge. If I could I’d drive over it a thousand times a day I would.

Here is a video I shot while driving over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge on three different occasions. Twice during sunset and once during the day. While I think the video shows some beautiful views from the bridge, by no means does it give the actual experience justice. For that you will have to make the drive yourself.

Driving Over The Fort Myers Beach Bridge

I thought Floridays by Jimmy Buffett was an appropriate song for this video.

I’m sure a lot of you have been over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge a time or two. Does it give you that excited feeling when driving over it?

When visiting friends in Fort Myers and it’s time to drive home, I almost always take the beach way. Sure it’s takes a little longer but the payoff is so so very worth it.

Fort Myers Beach Bridge

Please Subscribe If You Love The Caribbean!
Facebook.com/RumShopRyan
Twitter.com/RumShopRyan
RumShopRyan YouTube Channel
Pinterest

By | 2016-12-31T11:58:01+00:00 December 21st, 2012|Southwest Florida|11 Comments

1. Pam Hudson December 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

Perfect in every possible way, Ryan. Playing Jimmy added a really special touch, too!

2. RumShopRyan December 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

Glad you enjoyed it Pam! Thanks and cheers!

3. Mike December 21, 2012 at 11:19 am

Ryan, that video is so simple yet awesome. We just bought a house on Ft. Myers Beach about a year ago after only visiting the area for 3 days! We absolutely fell in love with the area and think it is paradise…we live in PA but actually feel homesick when we are away from Ft. Myers Beach. My favorite part is coming over the bridge…thanks for giving me the chance to relive that feeling. Keep the articles and videos about Ft. Myers Beach coming!

Mike

4. Big Kahuna December 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

Nice! Like, awesome! What a spectacular place you’ve found!

RumShopRyan December 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks Mike! I think you made a right choice in buying a house there. I bet it is getting cold up in PA right now, your island house is waiting for you!

Big Kahuna…thanks man!

6. Tom Westerhof December 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Great video, Ryan! I still remember the first time I drove over this bridge – spring break my sophomore year in college. It was just one of those moments that stick in your mind forever. Thanks for posting!

7. dean December 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for the ride Ryan, made me forget the 9 inches of snow we got yesterday. Happy Holidays everybody!

8. Shawn December 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Nice man! Perfect ending with the sun still hanging on.

9. Kurt Hunt December 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I recall many trips to Ft. Myers Beach in the 60’s and 70’s with my family.

The San Carlos Pass bridge was a draw bridge in the day…actually I believe
    it turned rather the raised…anyway. it was not unusual for the bridge to be
    “up” or out of commission for the Shrimp Boats a couple of times a day….backing up traffic
    for miles….

Thanks for the memories…that drive now raises the hair on my arms…love Estero Island.
    Anyone remember the Almaza Hotel? Love the Neptune Inn as well.

RumShopRyan December 21, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Great story Kurt. I read about the old swing bridge, not too many of those left, maybe one up on Casey Key…a little blast from the past. Glad you enjoyed the video. Traffic still gets backed up, now it’s just about the volume cars though. Cheers buddy.

11. Brenda Coffey September 6, 2017 at 9:20 pm

My family has been traveling to Fort Myers Beach since I was 8 years old. I am 49 now and still get that same feeling every time you go over the bridge. Definitely a sight you will never forget!