Video: A PainKiller Prepared On The Coast Of Somewhere Beautiful

Painkiller Drink

After one sip, you’ll sail across the ocean for another.

If you were to ask any salty Caribbean soul what their favorite island cocktail is, you might get a few different answers. I’m guessing Rum Punch, the Bushwacker and the Killer Bee would all be on the list with a few others. But I’m willing to bet good money that the majority of people would say, without a doubt…the Painkiller.

I wrote about and posted the recipe for the famous PainKiller way back in 2009. It was one of my first posts and rightfully so. An island concoction that we Castaways hold so dear to our hearts deserves a little more time in the sun. So I packed up the Pussers Rum and the other PainKiller ingredient, jumped aboard my buddies boat, the Gypsy Soul, and headed North along the backside of Sanibel, Captiva and North Captiva islands. After about an hour and a half of cruising we beached on the soft sand of Cayo Costa to lime away the day. The perfect place to shoot a video for the perfect drink.

The PainKiller

Soggy Dollar Bar Pain Killer Recipe:

• 2 oz Pussers Rum
  • 1 oz cream of coconut
  • 4 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 oz orange juice

Mixing Instructions: Add all the ingredients to mixing glass. Shake well. Pour into glass with ice. Grate fresh nutmeg over the top. Raise glass and toast.

As you all know, ground zero for the PainKiller is the Soggy Dollar Bar on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. No stay in the BVI is complete without hitting the sands of White Bay and drinking a few PainKillers at the Soggy Dollar. It’s nearly a religious experience.

If you have a good PainKiller story tell us about it below.

By | 2016-12-27T07:42:03+00:00 April 4th, 2012|Boat Drinks|13 Comments

1. Team Cocktail April 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

Great video! We love a good painkiller too. So wish we were at Soggy Dollar right now enjoying a few. Cheers!

2. SOonthebeach April 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

cheers! May have to mix one up this weekend!

3. RumShopRyan April 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

Let’s all head south to JVD and the Soggy Dollar for a few of these treats!

4. Scott April 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

Nice touch Ryan – a Pussers P.K. while proudly wearing a Mont Gay cap!

RumShopRyan April 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

And I had Cruzan underwear on! Have to show love to everyone!

6. Margo April 4, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I just had a Painkiller today at Bahama Breeze in Fort Myers! I was shocked to see it on the drink menu!! My favorite too!!

RumShopRyan April 4, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hi Margo, yeah find them on a few menus down here. The Sandy Parrot use to have them as well, but was there a couple weeks ago and they weren’t on there any more. I still had the bartender make one up though!

8. Andrew April 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I miss the days when I could walk to Pussers in downtown Annapolis and have a few painkiller #4’s!

9. Chris April 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm

We were on the ferry to JVD from St Thomas in may 2008 and started tawking to a man about the island. We said we were going to Soggy Dollar on a recomendation from someone we met in Key West and he told us to tell Mic that Jerry said to take care of us.On arrival Mic said no worries and handed us painkillers and kept them coming after Jerry arrived I found he was the owner and wouldn’t let us pay for our drinks. He is originally from New Jersey and enjoyed talking with folks from “home” . Later after several painkillers I was on a beach chair kicking back he came by and joined me we chatted and he asked how was my blood pressure I smiled and told him as good as it gets.Soon after that he walked to the water smiled,waved and swam out to a sailboat that pulled anchor and set sail for who knows where.I can only imagine living that lifestyle but that day was about as good as it gets. I have been back several times drinking painkillers enjoying the beach and laid back atmosphere and can’t wait to go there again,

10. Joe April 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Just made one from landlocked Iowa, I threw in an extra ounce of rum to compensate. Turned out great. Cheers.

RumShopRyan April 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

Nice Joe! Drink up!

12. […] you think of Pusser’s Rum, I’m betting most of you immediately think of the famous Painkiller cocktail. And why wouldn’t you, the drink is freaking amazing and is associated with the beautiful […]

13. […] After our Sandy Spit fun it was time to cruise on over to White Bay, Jost Van Dyke. White Bay is ground-zero for beach bar bliss. This famous BVI bay is home to popular beach bars such as One Love, Coco Locos, Gertrude’s, Ivan’s Stress Free Bar, the new Hendo’s Hideout, and the Soggy Dollar Bar which is home to the famous Painkiller Cocktail. […]