Magens Bay, St. Thomas – Island Lime Videos

Magens Bat St Thomas USVI

The best time to hit popular Caribbean beaches is in the morning. I met up with Big Kahuna at 8pm at the pool bar of Bolongo Bay Resort, our destination, the popular Magens Bay beach on St. Thomas.

Magens Bay is St. Thomas’ most popular beach. It’s a slightly crescent, mile long stretch of white sand that is postcard perfect. On the morning we were exploring the blue water was calm with only gentle waves that massaged your ankles as they washed by. Magens gradually deepens making it perfect for small children to play and adults to simply float away. The bay is protected by lush green mountains on either side and has a centerpiece island sitting out in front of the bay’s opening.

Magens Bay is the only beach on St. Thomas that has an entry fee; funds are used to maintain the facilities and the beach. What sort of facilities you ask. You can find a restaurant/bar that serves pizza, burgers, snacks and cold beer. I wouldn’t call Magens Bay a snorkelers paradise. The bay has mostly a sandy bottom but you can find some rocks on the left (west) side that might give you some snorkeling structure to explore.

Magens Bay, St. Thomas USVI

The beach is a popular stop on island tour itineraries and can get crowded on days when there are several cruise ships in port. Most beach goers pick a spot close to the restaurant area, so typically if you walk down the shore where the snorkeling rocks I mentioned are, away form the concession are you’ll find fewer people. But really, there’s never a bad time to go, it’s the freakin’ best beach on island! Go and enjoy.

Magens Bay St Thomas

Does it get any better than this? Magens Bay

Magens Bay St Thoams USVI

Magens Bay, St. Thomas USVI

It was a glorious morning spent at Magens. My only regret, I’m going to sound like a broken record, was that I didn’t have more time to relax and perhaps do some floating around. Maybe watch the day charters pull up and anchor, or perhaps kick back at the bar and enjoy a couple Summer Ales. Just a little island limin’.

Cheers Castaways!

Please Subscribe If You Love The Caribbean!
www.Facebook.com/RumShopRyan
www.Twitter.com/RumShopRyan
Google+

By |2016-12-27T07:42:05+00:00February 3rd, 2012|Island Lime Videos, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands|8 Comments

1. sara February 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

yayyyyyy! We will be there on Wednesday!!!

2. Jorie February 3, 2012 at 9:24 am

Ahhhh. So, it’s about the same time of day as I watch the video as when you shot it… but the view is vastly different from that out my window. And, it’s exactly what I love about the Caribbean; that gentle hypnotic lapping of the water. I could loop your video all day! (And some day get myself to the VI’s in person!)

~ Jorie

3. Terry Jordan February 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi Ryan-Along with Magen’s Bay charging a fee, Lindquist beach (also called Smith Bay) on the east end now charges 2.00 pp to use this beach, they just recently paved the road to the beach, it is quite beautiful but there is no restaurant facilities, just beautiful, beautiful beach, it is not well advertised, that is what I like about it, hopefully next time you go to STT you’ll check it out.
    Cheers! Terry Jordan

4. Wendy Gunderson February 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm

A fee? No thanks. The beaches in Anguilla are free.

RumShopRyan February 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info Terry. I’ll have to check that one out next time and get some shots for another STT Island Lime Video!

Wendy – True, I’m not use to paying to go to the beach either, but it’s a small price tag and for such a beautiful beach. Yes it’s probably a way to grab more cash form the tourist, but tourism is the industry down in the VI. They need the funds and I’m happy to help the island economy. That’s why I buy lots of rum!

6. CaribbeanSoul February 4, 2012 at 7:50 am

Hi Ryan. I’m amazed at how few building structures there are on the hillsides overlooking the bay! I always think of STT as being so built up, so it’s good to see this. Reminds me of the National Park areas on STJ.

RumShopRyan February 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yeah, when you get away from downtown (Charlotte Amelia) a little bit the hillsides open up and the true island beauty shows. Cheers!

8. sein kommentar hier May 28, 2017 at 2:00 am