White Bay, Jost Van Dyke – Photo Friday

Oh to be kickin’ back right now in White Bay on the lazy island of Jost Van Dyke. Jost is pretty much the playground of the entire Virgin Island, US or British. Famous beach bars, translucent water and the ever present Painkiller, it really is a Caribbean paradise.

In saying that, you wouldn’t be able to tell any of that from today’s Caribbean Photo Friday picture. I think I see one, maybe two boats in the bay. The calm for the storm. Later in the day White Bay will fill up with gleaming hulls and waving canvas, all toting day trippers wanting their time in this Caribbean playground. Sign me up.

Here is a little diddy by our friend Mr. Chesney that sums up this little island pretty well.

Somewhere In The Sun

Stuck here at a Holiday Inn near Austin, Texas
Seen all the road that I want to see
God I hate the snow, they even cancelled the show
Makes me long for where I really want to be

Oh I wish I was there tonight on Jost Van Dyke
Sipping on some Foxy’s Firewater rum
Or kickin’ back with Ivan
With all my friends down in the islands
Wouldn’t take much for me to up and run
To another life somewhere in the sun

Got cold fajitas and only one channel on the TV
Andy and Barney on Nick at Nite
Seen an ad for Mexico, God I really want to go
Anywhere out of mind and out of sight

Oh I wish I was there tonight on Jost Van Dyke
Sipping on some Foxy’s Firewater rum
Or kickin’ back with Ivan
With all my friends down in the islands
Wouldn’t take much for me to up and run
To another life somewhere in the sun

Here’s a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea
Drink your ales, hoist your sails
Ride the winds and think of me, ’cause

Oh I wish I was there tonight on Jost Van Dyke
Sipping on some Foxy’s Firewater rum
Or kickin’ back with Ivan
With all my friends down in the islands
Wouldn’t take much for me to up and run
To another life somewhere in the sun

Somewhere in the sun

Funny how just reading those lyrics relaxes the soul. One of my all time favorites.  I hope all you Castaways have a great weekend, you deserve it.

Don’t forget, the new “THE LIFE” Castaway t-shirts just came out. Would love to see you represent in style!

(Photo from ireland4517 via Flickr)

Please subscribe and Follow on Facebook and Twitter
www.Facebook.com/RumShopRyan
www.Twitter.com/RumShopRyan

1. Conch Republic Bikinis July 15, 2011 at 11:08 am

Ryan,

Your picture was the view from my balcony for ten days. Coffee (with a little Foxy’s Firewater) and watch the new boats come in. Then you head down to The Soggy Dollar for a bloody mary (breakfast food) before quickly switching to painkillers and cannonballs (Carib with a shot of Tequila in the bottle). Cheers!

RumShopRyan July 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I had a feeling your were going to comment on that view. Bloodymary on the beach sounds good!

3. Scott Jacob July 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm

One of the nicest beaches in the world when the swell and Puerto Rican Navy aren’t on-shore 🙂 Poor Ivan suffered a stroke a couple years back, but did get to tour with Kenny Chesney. I still pay my respects every time on Jost.

RumShopRyan July 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the comment Scott. Cheers to Ivan.

5. AM in the PM October 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm

You said it right, Ryan! White Bay is basically paradise. I was just there last Tuesday, being introduced to the Painkiller and I miss it already! I stumbled upon your blog looking for Voodoo Juice recipes, and yours is on point. You have a new follower!

RumShopRyan October 20, 2011 at 8:53 am

Welcome to the Castaways AM in the PM! Jost is a paradise and once you go for the first time is has you hooked just as you’re saying. Enjoy the Voodoo Juice recipe and the rest of this Caribbean blog. Cheers!

7. Simran February 9, 2012 at 5:15 am

i still dont know whehter i agree with you on this one or not. but its good arumentative post.

8. oyhizmwaq February 9, 2012 at 8:08 am
  9. Theresa July 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I ve spent many an evening at Ivan’s , also have stayed there. He is truly a gentleman and lots of fun. Staying there is not for everyone but it’s always an adventure to say the least… For me Jost is where I relax the most..laid back, no shoes. Ivan is not as well as he or I would like but whenever on Jost a visit to see him is a must…. Hope to do so in April…counting the days !

RumShopRyan July 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for the comment Theresa! Sounds like you know JVD pretty well, it special place indeed. Cheers!

11. minneapolis lofts February 25, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Pretty component to content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to say that I
    acquire actually loved account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing for your feeds and even I fulfillment you get entry to consistently fast.