The Gully Wash, An Interesting Bahamian Cocktail

After one sip, you’ll be washed away with the tide.

The Gully Wash. It’s an odd (at least to me) mixture of ingredients that had my face cringing when I first heard about it.

I was sitting at the bar of the Small Farmers Bar & Grill on Small Farmers Cay in the Exuma islands. We were just chased off a sandbar by a rain storm and were in need of shelter and a place to prepare our freshly caught conch for some delicious conch salad. Sitting there, sucking back the local SANDS beer, I got into a conversation about cocktails with our Four C’s boat captain Pat, first mate Andrew and bar owner Roosevelt Nixon. Conversation about rum and cocktails, me? I know, crazy right.

I think I was talking about the origin of the Goombay Smash and Pat brought up the Gully Wash. He said it was a great Bahamian drink with gin, coconut water and condensed milk. Two of the three ingredients made the hairs on my neck stand up. I’ll stick with the SANDS and Goombays Pat.

Gully Wash Cocktail Recipe

• 2 oz. Gin
  • 2 oz. Coconut Water
  • 4 oz. Condensed Milk

Instructions:

Pretty simple, just mix the gin and coconut water in half the glass over ice. Then fill the rest with condensed milk. Raise glass and toast.

Gin is one of those ingredients that made me cringe. I would have to guess that if you add light rum instead of gin, the cocktail would be better. But then again, it might not be a Gully Wash then either. O’well, I’m willing to risk it.

Just about the time I got back from the Exumas, our buddies over at UncommonCaribbean.com wrote about the Gully Wash. So it was strange that I’d gone from never hearing about the drink to hearing about it twice within a week. Funny how things work.

Let me know if you’ve tried the Gully Wash and what you thought.

(Photo by mapetite via Flicker)

Cheers Castaways,

Follow on Facebook and Twitter
www.Facebook.com/RumShopRyan
www.Twitter.com/RumShopRyan

By | 2016-12-27T07:48:03+00:00 April 27th, 2011|Boat Drinks, The Bahamas|27 Comments

1. mmm April 27, 2011 at 11:43 am

Using a real coconut, with pieces of the coconut flesh in the drink makes it even more tempting, stimulating. Love this drink!

2. mmm April 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

Also known as Sky Juice 🙂

RumShopRyan April 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for the comments MMM. I think I read that it’s called Sky Juice as well somewhere. Cheers!

4. Damon @ Let's Tiki April 29, 2011 at 8:00 am

I’m with you Ryan, some of those ingredients surprise me too! I’ll have to give it a try though. I’m really curious to see how it turns out. Sometimes these strange combinations can be really good.

5. Erin August 10, 2011 at 6:55 am

I HAD to try this drink when we were in the Bahamas on a cruise last year. It was a very strong drink (and I don’t like gin), but I loved it! My husband wasn’t wanting one but got it anyway (he doesn’t like gin OR coconut)…I ended up with two. Mmm is right. It needs to be real milk with big chunks of coconut so you can eat it at the end. Yummy!

RumShopRyan August 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

Thanks for the comment Erin! I’m with you guys, not a gin fan, but am willing to try anything once. Still waiting on my official Bahamian Gully Wash. Cheers!

7. Brian February 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I just got back from Grand Bahama Island and we had a local make us this drink. Obviously the fresh coconut makes a huge difference but he also added a pinch of nutmeg which definitely added to the flavor. I do not like gin either but if made properly you shouldn’t taste it.

RumShopRyan February 6, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Brian, I’m sure I’ll try one next time I’m over there, just to say I did. Thanks for the comment! Cheers!

9. nola mike August 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

+1 on the nutmeg. And we had them make the drink 3 ways: rum, gin, and vodka. It was definitely best with gin. Would have guessed rum.

RumShopRyan September 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Gin? Uh…I guess that’s good research. Thanks for letting us know Nola Mike. Cheers.

11. nola mike September 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm

All in the name of science…

12. luke warm November 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Just got back from Florida where I met ssome. Bahamians. They told me about it, and just got home and made one. Big fan! They said gin, nothing about nutmeg, but I’ll try that too. Not sure why they don’t use real milk, but I have heard that its expensive in the islands where there aren’t many (if any) dairy farms. They had also referred to it as gully wash

13. Amanda Scarbro January 21, 2013 at 7:18 am

Just had my first Gully Wash at Tony Macaroni’s Conch Experience in Freeport, about a week ago… It was fantastic! Wake you right up!

RumShopRyan January 21, 2013 at 8:37 am

Thanks for letting us know Amanda! Glad you liked it! Cheers.

15. julieth McCafferty May 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

In Nassau its called “Sky Juice” or Just “Gin and Coconut Water”…On Grand Bahama it is called “Gully Wash”…GREAT STUFF whereever you are!!!! Be careful…taste so good you can drink lots of it at once and that gin has a habit of creeping up on you…Wow! I love it ! Even though I am lactose intolerant.

16. Emmanuel smith September 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Gully wash should defiantly have some nutmeg it just give it more flavor, am a Bahamian from Grand Bahama Island am in Iceland visiting a friend that I use to work with back in the Bahamas, so he ask me to be a guest chef at his restaurant and guess what the mail cocktail is going to be, yes Gully wash…

As for me am not a fan of gin so for the pass 10 years I’ve been using absolute vodka it’s so much better I call it the Creeper you don’t taste the alcohol but it sure creeps up on ya!!!

17. BP November 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

we visited TCI Turks and Caicos Islands and were introduces to the Gullywash.
    mmm’s comments of the coconut flesh in the drink really is the trick.
    Concur with all that the contents makes you wonder, but once you try it, you’ll be amazed!

18. CR January 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm

When you say ‘condensed milk’ in the recipe, are you talking ‘sweetened condensed milk’?? I had several frozen Gully Washers last week at Junkanoo on Green Turtle Cay and loved them! Was told they make them with gin, coconut milk & sugar. Just now fixed one, although not frozen, and it’s not the same. So to my question – sweetened condensed milk?? Thanks!

RumShopRyan January 9, 2014 at 6:46 pm

CR, honestly I’m not sure. Give it a try with sweetened condensed milk and let me know what you think.

20. nola mike January 9, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Yes, use sc milk

21. free March 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Just got back from Freeport bahamas where I tried a gully wash. I can say I had the best drink in the most beautiful place. IT WAS DELICIOUS

RumShopRyan March 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

Thanks for letting us know!

23. Sue March 26, 2014 at 9:19 am

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Nassau. Some locals were making and selling the drinks along the beach. They gave us a choice of gin or vodka. I tried the vodka. Best drink ever!

RumShopRyan April 1, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Wise choice Sue, gin makes me cry!

25. Jessica November 10, 2014 at 9:22 pm

When we went to Paradise Island they called it sky juice and used gun, (coconut?) rum, regular milk and (it’s been a while and I had several of these so I’m not positive on this last one) coconut flavored syrup. It is still the best drink I’ve ever had.

26. Jessica November 10, 2014 at 9:23 pm

That is supposed to be *gin*

27. Kevin July 4, 2015 at 2:32 pm

This is a great drink for a fish fry or bar-b-q. Best when you use green coconuts where there is still some jelly in the coconut water.