Pete’s Pub Beach Bar, Abaco Bahamas – The Perfect Recipe for Perfect

How do you make a Caribbean beach bar perfect? You give it personality, you give it character. You give it a touch of weirdness with a dash of love, then let the beautiful beach setting take care of the rest. This week’s featured beach bar has the right ingredients for perfect.

Last week as I was logging into No Shoes Radio,the background photo jumped out at me. It was a picture of a disheveled looking beach bar, one that I’d never seen before. I was able to just barely decipher the name of the place…Pete’s Pub. A quick Google search and I was off to soak up as much info as I could find on this odd looking place.

Pete’s Pub is located in Little Harbour in the Abaco Islands of the Bahamas. It is the type of harbour (Bahamian Spelling) that you think of when you dream of a perfect paradise. Arrive by boat, if possible, or cab it on the one-lane sandy road. What ever your mode of transport, you’ll feel you’ve arrived at the edge of the world. Little Harbour has a narrow opening to the sea and filled with calm transparent blue water. It’s home to stringrays, island hopping boaters and a little eclectic place called Pete’s Pub.

[/caption]

At first glance you would think the place was just hit by a hurricane, but you would be wrong. Pete’s Pub looks to be built with what ever happened to by laying on the beach. Things like drift wood, an old boat hull, a big anchor and even a random traffic signal are used to give the beach bar its “character” I talked about earlier. All ingredients for a perfect memory.

Pete's Pub Abaco Bahamas

Pete's Pub - Photo by tgrayphoto via Flickr

Do you know another ingredient besides a charming ambiance that give a beach bar its legendary status? If you’re answer is a damn good rum punch then you’re right! Pete’s Pub has a rum punch call the “Blaster” and is said to be the best in the Bahamas. Doesn’t every beach bar say that? I’m sure the famous Nippers Beach Bar in the Abacos would have something to say about that. I think a taste challenge is in order!

Dock your boat and walk up to the old bar sitting in the sand and order your Blaster. The “Inside” of the bar is covered in customized tee shirts that have been nailed up over the years. Peruse the chalkboard menu and order your island meal. I hear the fish sandwich and burgers are killer good. Don’t eat too much though, you need to save room for another Blaster.

Petes Pub Abaco

Petes Pub Bar - Photo by Kingscrusinglog.blogspot.com

You can dine and relax on the boarded deck area that sits next to the waters of Little Harbour or sit at one of the outdoor picnic tables in the sand.

Pete's Pub Abaco Bahamas

Deck Overlooking Little Harbour

I’m always searching for that perfect “one particular harbor” that feels like home and this just might be it. Little Harbour and Pete’s Pub are treasures in a sea of riches that need to be experienced. Just add a pinch of craziness, a dash of charming personality, mix it with the natural beauty of Little Harbour, then top it all off with some smooth rum. That’s how you make perfect, perfect.

Let me know if you’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting Pete’s Pub and what you thought.

Cheers Castaways,

Pete’s Pub, Great Abaco Island
242-366-3503
Fax: 242-366-3503

www.petespub.com
pete@petespub.com

By | 2016-12-31T11:58:18+00:00 April 26th, 2011|Abaco, Caribbean Beach Bars, The Bahamas|16 Comments

1. The Shell Princess April 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

It seems I have heard about this place so many times. I must be destined to go there myself!

RumShopRyan April 27, 2011 at 8:48 am

Sounds like you need another trip to the Bahamas Princess. I hadn’t heard of it before seeing the photo on NSR. One look at that place and I was hooked. I had to find out more. Just another great beach bar in the island to hit. I really need a boat. Cheers!

3. Tim, Coleen and Lucy June 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm

We were there Apr 27 at the advice of the proprietors of the Lubbers Landing Beach Bar (next to Cracker P’s), Amy and Austin. Great Beach bar and definitely a piece of paradise. Food is great, atmosphere is cool and a great place to drink a few and eat a meal. The artwork is also worth the trip. The Cays off of Abaco have some of the greatest beach bars. We might make it back to see Barefoot Man at Nippers in July. We had a blast and highly recommend the entire Abaco scene. Rent a boat and find your own paradise.

RumShopRyan June 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thanks for the comment Tim, Coleen & Lucy. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I can’t wait to island/bar hope all through the Abacos. Cheers!

5. Wildman James of Jupiter August 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Aaaarrrggghhh! Ahoy Mates this is the Wildman James of Jupiter shipmate to Captain Nasty long time friend of ” Pete ”
    Last stop at Pete’s Pub was right before it burn’t down. What year was that? Is Pete still Kicking? Just wanted to let him know Captain Nasty died last year. There was a great burial at sea party festival in Florida in his memory. Check out
    Captain Robby Smith & the Myan Scooner on U-Tube or Internet. I am still writing music and for some crazy notion
    I am working on a fun song I call ” Pete’s Pub ” So I got on the computer and sure enough you guys haven’t blown away
    yet. Well always the highest and the best to all you Natives. Peace & Love from the Wildman.

6. Nancy August 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Pete’s Pub is a hidden gem in the beautiful Abaco, Bahamas. I visited there several times with my dad who was a great friend of Pete’s before my dad passed away. We always went by boat from Hope Town where we had a home for many years. I’d love to go back to visit this unique island getaway sometime soon. I have a beautiful piece of art, a turtle designed by Pete at my home in the Florida Keys that I love. If you haven’t been to the Abaco’s you have to go.
    Enjoy!

7. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen August 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm

We lived in the Abacos for years and know Pete personally. Pete’s Pub is one of THE best laid-back spots in the islands. And the Blaster is named that for a very good reason. Pete’s Pub always reminded usof what Gilligan’s bar would have looked like if Gilligan had had a bar. Wildman James mentioned above that Pete’s Pub burned. I don’t believe that is right and I sincerely hope it’s not true.

Pete’s Pub is a “do not miss” when visiting Abaco. And be sure to stop in the gallery for Pete’s gorgeous sculptures and jewelry.

RumShopRyan August 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for the comment Sam. I haven’t heard anything about Pete’s Pub burning down either. I’ll reach out to them to double check. Cheers to a little slice of paradise in the Abacos.

9. Heather Moore August 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ARTICLE & COMMENTS!!! Never thought about it like that, but we always do look like we just got hit by a hurricane. You should’ve seen it after Floyd in 99…. that’s another article. With another hurricane in the atlantic bearing down on all of us, we are alas closed for off season till November. Haven’t burned down, not since 88, I think it was, maybe 92. Pete is still very much alive & kicking & expecting his first grandchild.
    We’ll reopen for weekends in November (thursday – sunday) & will be open everyday for the Christmas holidays.
    Again, thanks for the great article,
    Heather
    Pete’s Pub & Gallery
    Little Harbour, Abaco

10. Cindy Britton August 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

I drove the dirt road in to see Pete’s Pub in September of 2010, when it was off season. (I had visited there back in the early 80’s) Pleasantly, it had not changed much. I was met by several residents and the caretakers, Susan and Wellie were opening the place on Friday’s and Sunday’s. The hospitality was such that I did not want to leave. After returning home to Mississippi, the pull of Pete’s Pub and Little Harbour had a serious grip on me. I returned that same December and didn’t come home again until April. This has now become a habit for me. I will be returning again this December. I love Pete, Greg and Heather and all the residents of that “One Particular Harbour”. Highly recommend a visit. Put this place on your bucket list.

RumShopRyan August 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for the update Heather! Cheers!

12. Jennifer Huebner January 4, 2013 at 9:48 pm

We were in the Abacos about 4 months ago for the second time and made it to Pete’s Pub. It was a blast. The Hooters power boat crowd was there, so that left a bit more excitement and fun to be seen. Good people. Loved the gal at the bar. After our second trip, we ended up buying a 2013 Fountaine Pajot Helia at the boat show last year in Annapolis. It is being made in France and will be in Annapolis this summer and then will be parked in the Bahamas in the Fall of this year. I am SO excited to come back to the Abacos. We will put it in chartering with Cruise Abacso and plan to spend a fair amount of time there.

13. Dan August 20, 2014 at 11:52 am

So what’s in a “Blaster”?

14. Jason July 22, 2016 at 10:22 am

Ryan, since you were such a fan of Pete’s and Little Harbour I thought you may be interested to know what a developer is trying to do there. It would be a shame if these plans went through, maybe you could help get the word out.

RumShopRyan July 24, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Jason.

16. Alana November 30, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Was trying to find the harbor blaster recipe just now and came across this page. LOVE. PETES. PUB. I have dreams about those blasters.