The Famous Bomba Shack – Caribbean Beach Bars

The Bomba Surfside Shack, located on Tortola in the BVI, is a beach bar built with love and whatever scrape material that happened to be laying around the island. Bomba built his surfside shack on the beach in Cappoons Bay,  Tortola in 1976. Not having a lot of money for building supplies, he used driftwood, pieces of tin roofing, broken surf boards and anything else he was able to find or which happened to wash up on the beach. The end result is a beach bar like none other, distinctly eclectic, ever changing, collage of trash … which somehow works!

The “decorations” include Graffiti contributed by visitors, faded photos of women in various stages of undress, panties and bras and license plates from around the world!

Bomba Shack Beach Bar

When Bomba first opened there was not much money to stock the shelves with drinks to sell, so friends would drop off leftover booze at the Shack, and that’s when the Bomba Shack started to boom. Constantly adding to the size of the Shack is an ongoing project, Bomba is still using the dropped off excess pieces of whatever from the land or sea!

The Bomba Shack has survived every hurricane that has passed over the British Virgins Islands. It has been damaged many many times but has always been built back up to great joy of the shacks loyal patrons. And with new materials washed ashore by the passing storms, Bomba’s always seems to get bigger and better!

Bomba Shack BVI

A few years ago, due to such large crowds that would come to the world famous Bomba’s Surfside Shack Full Moon Parties, Bomba expanded the Shack across the road from the original beachside Shack to what Bomba calls the “Back Yard.” Not much more than a field where cattle graze during the daytime, Bomba has built, once again with whatever comes to him, a large bar and a bandstand where he gets some of the best local bands to rock all night during the Full Moon Party, which of course is held every month.

Bomba

Say Hi To Bomba!

Bomba’s Full Moon Party

In 1989, Bomba decided to hold full moon parties, a tradition which continues today. Much like an island style tailgate party, the full moon party takes place on the road between Bomba’s two buildings and provides an excellent opportunity for people watching, limin’ and having a great time! I must warn you though, I’ve heard some crazy stories about the Bomba Full Moon Parties. They are no place for children or people easily offended. Just my type of place!

The wild full-moon party takes place monthly at the shack and its star, Mr Bomba himself, is grand chef of the infamous Midnight Tea.

Bomba Shack

A Beach Bar In Paradise

Legends abound over the composition of this strange brew. It has been said that they spice up the tea with a brand of local fungus purported to have strange psychotropic effects. Visitors are warned! What is known is that the brew contains rum (lots of it) and local fruit juices, and that it bubbles away in a cauldron across the road from the Shack. I think the special effects of this tea are mostly myth, but it’s fun to think about wild you sip away the night…what great marketing!

Bomba Shack Art

Beautiful Painting of the Bomba Shack by Laura Redding

A blissful haze of rum and fruit juice, dancing feet on sand, lapping waves and sweet soothing reggae rhythms promises to sweep you away into the tropical night, carrying you through until the sun rises over the waves… Need I say more?

If you have been to Bomba’s or have any fun stories to share about this one of kind beach bar please share!

By | 2016-12-31T11:58:31+00:00 January 18th, 2011|British Virgin Islands, Caribbean Beach Bars, Tortola|13 Comments

1. Ollie Kennon January 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’d say that Bomba’s Shack is LEED Certified!

RumShopRyan January 18, 2011 at 11:03 am

Ha…Welcome to the Caribbean! Thanks for the comment Ollie.

3. Tree Man January 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

It’s worth saying that there’s a full moon party at Bombas tomorrow – wed, Jan 19th!

4. Glen January 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’ve been to the Bomba Shack! It’s quite a place, exactly as you describe!

RumShopRyan January 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Wish I could be there Tree Man!

Hi Glen, thanks for the comment. Cheers to the Bomba Shack!

6. junny October 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I went to Bomba 10 years ago it isa greath place with all those panties.

7. Jacque April 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

I just visited Bomba on Sunday April 1st in Tortola!

8. Cools July 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Stay the F@#K AWAY from this place on the full moon madness party!!! Its a disaster . We went with a few couples to party and have fun and saw the natives preying on unsuspecting women that had to much to drink. We broke up a near rape of a visitor by a native and my buddies girl was followed in the bathroom and nearly had the same happen to her. I’m into a great party as much as the next guy but stay clear of these people on that night !!!

9. Big Al December 5, 2013 at 10:17 am

I went there when I was single and had a great time. met a wonderful young lady who lives and runs a sailing school. Returned with my bride and another coulple on an afternoon and the girls were so creeped out we didn’t stay long. There was no one else in the place but the bartender. Spoke my mind.

10. Boom Beach Free Diamonds September 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Most of the games developed are developed using the
    JAVA programming language. Be cautioned though, if you’re not going
    to throw down a couple of bucks– as in, spend for the video game instead of consider it a
    giveaway – you’ll be investing numerous hrs between construct times puddling your thumbs.
    For external storage, most android phones have a micro SD slot and can read
    micro SD cards formatted with FAT 32, Ext3fs or Ext4s file system.

11. 70sGirl September 7, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Bomba asked me to stay and bartend in 1986, but I couldnt see how to make ends meet on 1night every 14,
    when I said no , he asked me to marry him. I had to turn him down, but I painted his worn out driftwood and
    added some colour to the shack!

12. Tyler Blackman August 11, 2015 at 10:07 pm

full moon party was definitely legendary

but that stuff about locals behaving badly it was mostly the tourist who couldn’t handle the mushroom tea
    i hope they’re partying for new years cause i might take a trip

13. VIP by MSPHack.tips October 6, 2016 at 9:25 am

You neeԁ to Ƅe а pаrt of a contest fοr one of tҺe Ьest
    websites оn the net. I most certɑinly will recommend tһіs website!