Chesney’s St. John House and Superman’s Cape

Yesterday I saw a tweet from Cruz Bay Realty saying Kenny Chesney just listed his St. John house for sale. I quickly clicked the link and sure enough, there was the house that has been the back drop for numerous No Shoes Radio photos.

Here is the link if you would like to see the listing: Kenny Chesney’s St. John Home

Yeah, but how does this house relate and superman’s cape? I’m getting there, you’ll see.

When I first saw the listing it was weird, I felt really uncomfortable the entire time I was reading and a wave of sadness rushed over me. Why was I feeling these emotions?

Sure, I’m a big Chesney fan like many of your are. He has come to represent a lifestyle we long for and puts that world into songs that we can’t get enough of. I mean who wouldn’t want to to say, “heck with this day job stuff, let’s move to the Caribbean and sit on a boat all day drinking Corona and rum.” It’s escapism and Chesney has captured this island feeling, bottled it up and put it on ice for the rest of us.

What is the one thing that keeps this image of him as an “Island Cowboy” rooted for us?  The house. Knowing that this world he sings of is real and is an actual part of him, not just a marketing ploy is why we buy in. The fact that he lives the songs he sings is what we love. It’s real.

What if superman were to cut off his cape? Would he be able to fly? Would he still be the man of steel? Probably, but something wouldn’t be quite right. He would just be another superhero wearing tights stopping the bad guys. The cape make superman who he is. It defines him. That house makes Kenny Cheseny a true Island Cowboy. Him selling it is like superman cutting off his cape to me. It defines him.

Now in saying all of this, I’ve heard people say he has 2 or 3 homes on St. John. Maybe this house was getting to much exposure and fans were starting to turn up in the bushes. Who knows.  Maybe he’s going to buy a small island like Great Thatch Cay that sits just off of St. John. That would give him some privacy and solitude that we hear him talk about. The fact is we don’t know why he is selling. I’m sure he has his reasons and will still call the islands home in some sort of fashion.  You can’t just turn them off like that, once you’ve been to the Virgin Islands they’re in your blood.

If anyone has anything they’d like to add please do so in the comments below. If Kenny happens to read this story I invite him to comment as well. Hey, I had to try right?

By | 2016-12-27T07:50:06+00:00 October 30th, 2010|Kenny Chesney, RSR Stories, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands|22 Comments

1. lorijo October 30, 2010 at 11:20 am

I completely agree – I was sad too when I read about the selling of his house… I wish people would just leave him alone. Of course we all love him and wish we could party with him – only the lucky ones get to do that. I hope he gets all the things that he desires in his life. I will always love St John whether he is there or not–Kenny thank you for your music as it moves me every single day!!

2. KennyCsgirl October 30, 2010 at 11:53 am

Great piece Ryan! I totally agree. Maybe he has something bigger and better in the works…of course, I couldn’t imagine much bigger and better than that house and that view! 🙂

3. Laura October 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’ll take the water-slide please! How cool. Love the lush back yard but I’m short a few million on this one. Bummer.

4. william October 30, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I dont feel sad about it, a house doesn’t define who you are, wherever you are is home, as long as you have friends and family… and your music in your heart.

I am sure he has plans for another home, good luck to Kenny and living our dream, cheers to that!

William

RumShopRyan October 31, 2010 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the comment William. Cheers!

6. chezneygirl November 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Love what you wrote and I must say that I also had a little pang of saddness reading that Kenny is going to try and sell this house (again). I have been to St. John and it is nice to know that when you look up at the house, from the water (because you cannot see it from the shore very well), that the house you are seeing is Kenny’s…..just comforting. He does live a lifestyle that a lot of us would like to live – just being able to return to St. John over and over again would be bliss for me. I love his songs and his shows – I must because I attend a lot of them. But good luck to Kenny as he goes through life. I hope he is happy, because he brings joy and happiness to so many of his fans.

RumShopRyan November 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the great comment chezneygirl. Cheers.

8. Rosi November 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

my take is as long as he has his boat, he will always be an island cowboy. I just think he has that piece of his soul that is touched by the island and he won’t stray far. jumo

RumShopRyan November 3, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I agree Rosi, the boat is a big part of his “Island Cowboy” personality. Thanks for the comment!

10. John November 5, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Hey, just like one of his songs says, “Another chapter of my life is over.” You can’t stay at the same point in your life forever, things change and you move on, maybe that is how Kenny feels about this home. I saw this house was for sale a few years ago and was wondering if someone bought it. I was at Caneel Bay and someone pointed out the home to me from the water. It probably looks like heaven from way up there. I wish I had the money to buy it. What a great feeling it would be to send parents and their terminally ill children to this beautiful estate to spend a week for free, relax and enjoy the beauty of the island and give them a memory to last a lifetime.

11. Tammy November 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Well….I too had/have the same saddness sweep over me as well! I truly am a Chesney fan and his thoughts and songs are how I feel deep w/in my soul about life/love/the Carib…well most of the songs anyway….hehe. I too wish him luck.

12. Sue December 1, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I’m about a month late to the party here, but just wanted to say thanks for mentioning it. I thought I was a lonely loser pining for a house that doesn’t even exist in my reality! I think the boat is his element and the guitar his cape. But I love your metaphor. Can I be Lois Lane?

RumShopRyan December 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Yes Sue you can be Lois. I’m sure Kenny won’t mind. Cheers!

14. Mary January 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm

What a KILLER house that must be! Have seen it from a distance. This is the first in five years that we did not vacation in the Virgin Islands and it makes me so sad. First year we went, took “Be As You Are” CD along and totally got it…and we were hooked! Favorite stay was on Coral Bay on St. John 2 years ago. Love it there…great people, and they make you feel like a local. KC’s music is our soundtrack to those great vacation memories!

RumShopRyan January 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the comment Mary. We also listened to “Be As You Are” over and over while we were on STJ. We stayed just south of Cruz Bay up Jacobs ladder. Can’t wait to go back again!

16. DebbieKilmer March 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I sure wish I had 10,000,000 about now!! I could use a newer better life in the Caribbean and the house!!!! Thanks for the well written story Ryan!

17. Corrie March 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm

When I was in St. Thomas and visited St. John for a day in Jan/Feb, a local mentioned he’s selling and buying one higher up in St. John, closer to the hospital so he could have some more privacy.

RumShopRyan March 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the information Corrie. Cheers!

19. Judi May 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

Must agree with what you wrote. I have been to St. John twice, the first time, because I am such a huge Kenny fan that I had to experience the island he loves so much and writes about. St. John is amazing and I owe Kenny a big “Thank You” for alerting his fans to this little bit of paradise, on planet earth. The house is easy to spot, and we took photos of it, from our sailboat. We never did see Kenny, but that was fine the man deserves a break from “us”, his fans – had we actually spied him, we would have left him alone. As for Kenny’s selling this house, I admit that I am a tiny bit sad – the house will always be “Kenny’s House” for a lot of his fans. Sad, that he feels he has to sell it, to get a more private house, on the island. I am sure he does feel like he is living in a fish bowl, at least part of the time, but Kenny, you are so famous and loved by so many fans….the price of super stardom. Oh, and that second St. John trip….that was for me, as I fell in love with the island – I think everyone does, that visits it!

RumShopRyan May 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Thanks for the comment Judi. That island does grab a hold of you doesn’t it. Cheers!

21. Brian May 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hey Ryan,
    Enjoyed reading that. Have to admit I stumbled upon your site today while stalking my wife. No it’s not what anyone is thinking….
    She is acting as first mate/cook on a good friends catamaran this week, and there headed to Cooper Island today. So I googled web cams for Cooper Island and I find you! The Islands are everything Kenny sings about and more. Every time I go down the trip gets a little longer and it gets harder to come home! So thank you Kenny for letting us in on that piece of paradise!!
    I probably should have visited your site before seeing that we’re FB friends..

RumShopRyan May 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for the comment Brian. Cheers!