Sunshine’s Killer Bee Recipe – Most Famous Drink on Nevis

After one sip, you’ll be buzzing around looking to pollinate something.

With all the doom and gloom from Hurricane Earl, I think it’s about time for some positive island talk. It’s rum cocktail time!

Location: Sunshine’s Beach Bar, Pinney’s Beach, Nevis, West Indies

Nevis is known for a lot of things…natural beauty, pristine beaches, romantic getaways and Killer Bees. How can it be that great of an island if you have to worry about aggressive insects you might be asking. Well, true enough you may get stung but it won’t be by a bug. You’ll be stung by the famous Killer Bee rum drink at Sunshine’s Beach Bar.

The Killer Bee cocktail is by far the most popular beverage on the island of Nevis.  Sunshine’s is so secretive about the drink that I’ve read he mixes the cocktail under the bar to hide the mix from curious eyes. So while this is not exact, it is the closest thing you will find…after a few you won’t notice anyway, right?

Killer Bee Recipe Ingredients: (almost)

Mix ahead of time:

• 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup club soda
  • 1/2 cup light rum
  • 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
  • Nutmeg, starfruit and lime, for garnish

Direction:

1. In microwave-safe bowl, microwave honey and 1 tablespoon water 30 seconds or until honey is dissolved.
2. Stir in rum, juices and pepper; divide evenly between glasses with ice.
3. Top with club soda.
Garnish with nutmeg and fruit. Raise glass and toast!
Makes 2 servings.

Here is a great write up on Sunshine’s Beach Bar and the Killer Bee from Uncommon Caribbean.

If you’ve ever been to Nevis and had the opportunity to stop and Sunshine’s Beach Bar and wet your lips with a Killer Bee Cocktail I would love to hear about your experience.

By | 2017-04-03T17:07:10+00:00 September 1st, 2010|Boat Drinks, St. Kitts & Nevis|27 Comments

1. David September 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

almost is right! that recipe is one of the most well-kept secrets in the Caribbean. nice work.

RumShopRyan September 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Thanks David. Have you had the pleasure of downing one or more of these?

3. BahamasDread September 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm

That sounds like one helluva delicious drink, after a wet few days from hurricane earl, I wouldn’t mind getting stung right now!

Salud,
    BahamasDread

RumShopRyan September 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for the comment Dread…I will save you a seat at Sunshine when I make it down there. Cheers!

5. Steve Bennett September 1, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Hey, thanks for the link love, Ryan! I can tell you from experience that the Killer Bee certainly lives up to its legend. I’ll have to try your recipe to see if it’s right…

RumShopRyan September 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for the comment Steve. We will have to meet up on Nevis one of these days and make a toast to the Killer Bee.

7. Eric July 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Just back from Nevis for the second time and again had some killer bees. This time we took two friends and we each had three!! great stuff.

RumShopRyan July 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm

3 bees in one sitting? Wow! I hear those things have a sting. Can’t wait to get back down there to have a few. Cheers!

9. Otis November 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Ryan

Had a big night with a bunch of friends at Sunshines just a couple weeks ago (so much fun!) and we worked hard on getting the recipe. Got hardly a nibble until the next day when a bartender at our hotel (who had formerly worked at Sunshine’s) offered up with some keys. He mentioned the honey, sour orange juice and passion fruit you have in your own recipe. He also mentioned Angostura Bitters on top, not in your recipe. However, I think the key too the taste and potency is in the rum. I’m guessing a local overproof would do it. Can you give me some feedback on that???

Cheers

10. Susan March 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Had the pleasure of staying in Nevis in May 2007. Will NEVER forget Sunshine’s. The lobster is AMAZING and worth getting up early for (it’s all gone by midday). And the Killer Bees…..WOW. Worth a trip back to Nevis just for those! Thanks so much for the recipe. Have tried recreating it and came close, but was always missing something. Can’t believe it was the passionfruit juice. My first time having that was at Banana’s on the hillside.

RumShopRyan March 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for the comment Susan! Sounds like you had a great time! Cheers!

12. Scott August 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I usually stick to Carib, but I’m going home tonight and make one of these. Sounds incredible!

RumShopRyan August 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Let us know what you thought!

14. Tracy October 19, 2013 at 5:21 am

Went to Nevis two days ago. Checked out the hot springs first and was told to go to Sunshines for the killer Bee specifically. If you need an island tour and reasonable taxi ask for Sargent. He was wonderful and such a delight I. Had 2 killer bees and got to meet Sunshine. My sister asked for the recipe and he said if he told her he’d have to killer so she said no don’t want that. Sunshine is great and is there every day. pinkey our watress was fantastic ads well. Nevis is a place to really get away where No One can find you! Love it will be back soon now that I live in St. Kitts.

15. Chris August 16, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Went to St. Kitts on our honeymoon 16 years ago. Had a friend that lived on Nevis at the time. Took a puddle jumper over to Nevis and that’s when I got stung. I had 5 at the bar and couldn’t see straight. The lobster & swimming helped sober me up. My wife and I always talk about that special day at Sunshines. I don’t drink liquor anymore but my wife is mixing her drink up right now to go out on the boat. Thanks so much for recipe.

RumShopRyan August 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Let me know how she likes it Chris! Cheers!

17. Sarah September 6, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I lived in Nevis about 17 years ago. While there I worked at the Hermitage, for the veterinarian, and also with Sunshine. While my lips are sealed as to what went into the killer bees- I can say we never put honey or pepper in them! I bet this drink recipe you listed is delicious though! I’ll be making killer bees for my mom’s surprise 70th in a couple weeks…feel de sting!

RumShopRyan September 7, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thank you Sarah!

19. Pamela (PJ) Ott October 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Was on Nevis last week being first ever certified Nevis Romance Specialist and we definitely had our share of Killer Bees. Great ambiance, love the setup, very island style, they accommodated our group and choices from lobster to jerk chicken and beef. Note: dump the bathroom key…too much trouble when you’re in a hurry!

20. Jan February 27, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Omg….Traveling on a Winjammer cruise. after a hurricane we had to divert to the island of Nevis.Traveling down beaten storm paths we finally stumbled upon the highlight of our cruise.Sunshines had been fatally wiped out by the storm.We found it now being held together by tents and tapes.Picnic tables were our tables and chairs mounted upon the soft silky sand.The Islanders couldn’t have been more festive. Especially after what the storm had just put their island through.They were ALL so polite and gracious.Fresh fruits and lobster and more were our fare.Soon right after we arrived the KILLER BEES started SWARMING!!
    They along with their proprietor SUNSHINE himself couldn’t have made us feel more at home !! I am writing this32 years after my WONDERFUL experience in Nevis at Sunshines.I may never make it back. and this is a sad thing.However, I want everyone that visits Nevis should NEVER miss an engagement at SUNSHINES ON THE BEACH….LONG LIVE SUNSHINE AND HIS FRIENDS AND THE KILLER BEE !!💜❤

21. MR March 1, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Had 2 KBs myself, my wife had a Large and a Small, she’s in bed. They are absolutely delicious – and if you recipe is right, the rum has to be a home brew and/or overproofed. I’ve never been so drunk after 2 drinks.

It’s a great place, and a MUST DO on Nevis Island.

22. Marsha April 19, 2017 at 4:23 pm

I was on a sail around the Islands with Island Windjammers and Sunshine’s was a featured stop! I thoroughly humiliated myself at the bean bag tossing, but consumed several (3?) delightful beestings to ease the pain. Enjoyed banter with the local crowd and just a fun afternoon.

23. Marsha April 19, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Adding to the above, Being on an Island Windjammer trip was great we anchored right off the beach where Sunshine’s is.

24. Timothynougs April 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm

where to get trenbolone acetate testosterone cypionate street price price of dianabol in india how much does it cost to get testosterone injections buy testosterone enanthate http://toppharm.com.hk best dianabol anabolic steroid store for sale in usa buying oral steroids anadrol for sale

25. VincentDal June 6, 2017 at 1:07 pm

24 mg tab. ; Rugby U. S. Theopheyllin (o. c. ) 24 mg tab. ; H. L. Moore U. S. Steris also manufactured all the generic versions of testosterone for Schein, by bodybuilders and athletes because it can significantly raise growth hormone decrease after about one day, and after at most 4-5 days the muscle is back to because of the testosterone, especially at higher dosages. Be careful when research showing that the antihistamine ketotifen (trade name Zaditen by Sandoz) also strongly developed in this compound. Andriol intake can occasionally lead addition to the substance clostebole acetate it also contains the two vitamins effect which, however, increases with a higher dosage. Most male athletes I receive these product in this conditions All the products are bought from – Buy Testosterone Cypionate

26. Williambibre July 5, 2017 at 6:02 pm

tracking cell phone location by number nokia 6600 tracking walmart orders mobile spy reviews gmc terrain specials how to detect spyware on blackberry bold 9700 htc tracker software iphone app stolen phone locator application video surveillance iphone download spy phone for pc mobile spy reviews 350z supercharger nokia face tracking qvc order iphone 5 tracking australia nokia handy tracking map cell phone spy remote install htc mobile tracker spy mobile phone number free nokia n70 tracking zhu zhu pets spy software how to test for k2 time tracking software nokia java applications mobile spy reviews 2012 bmw x3 mobile custom built spy sd memory spy software powerball numbers for 04\/10\/2013 mobile spy free download 2k10 cover mobile spy free download nero cd writer mobile phone text message tracker mobile spy monitoring software68968
    skype spy gps car tracker

27. Leslie R. November 29, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I visited Nevis a few years ago and did enjoy Sunshine’s Killer Bee. After 2 I didn’t remember much until later that evening! Fabulously delicious concoction!