The Tattoo – Part 4

On Part 3 of the Tattoo Story we were almost done, just needed to add some waves back in to the design to add a splash of color and because it’s one of my passions.  Love me some ocean.

Here is the design with the final waves.

By this time I was getting pretty excited because it’s almost done.  I loved the waves but they need to be pulled in just a little bit.  I wasn’t a fan of how far out they were.

So here here are is the design with them moved it.

This is the final design!  What do you think?!

The design says a lot about it’s owner. I love of the sun, ocean and tropics.  It has the cowboy had that represents my country up bringing in the great state of Kansas.  The pirate skull is just cool and I guess represents my rebellious side.  My mother can attest to that.  It has the symbol of the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands, one of my favorite places on this rock we call Earth.  Then the Hawaiian lei…really what pirate tattoo is complete without a lei?

Here is it is on RumShopRyan.

IMG_0228

IMG_0227

Do you have any tropical tattoos?  Please share!

Here is the rest of the Tattoo Story.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Cheers to the Salt Life,

By | 2016-12-31T11:58:35+00:00 December 20th, 2009|RSR Stories|10 Comments

1. Patty December 22, 2009 at 5:22 pm

What a cool story about the evolution of your tattoo design! I’m really impressed with your artistic ability and your tolerance for pain. 🙂 (No tats for me, thankyouverymuch!) How long did it take for them to finish that? Ouch!

The fact that you’re a graphic designer explains a lot about your fab web site design too!

Oh, and P.S. It’s a Hawaiian “lei” not a “lie”. Hawaiian “lies” are a whole different story, trust me! LOL

RumShopRyan December 22, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Hey Patty!
    Glad you liked the story. It took about 3 1/2 hours to do. I wanted it to be quite a bit smaller but the guy said it would lose a lot of detail. Didn’t hurt too bad…guess I’m just tough. 🙂

The site still has a was to go as far as design goes. I’m super picky.

Thanks for the Lei correction! I so need a proof reader. I do my best by but my grammar skills went north for the winter. Cheers!

3. Kristine February 10, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Your tattoo came out great and I am not a crazy tattoo person. But, I love KC and have been to 10 concerts and met him once. LIke you I love the islands, palm trees & rum, and corona light. I have a thing for palm trees. I have a bedroom with a palm tree motiff, I have them in my car, I love pictures of them. Your website is very interesting and you have some great info here too. Islands I’ve been to are: St Thomas, St. John, Tortola, The Baths, Marina Cay, JVD, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Antigua, and Jamaica.
    I am curious about the photography on your site…are you a photographer and a writer, or does someone else dig photography.
    Oh, in reference to your response to me by email, Yes we are having a killer of a blizzard. The worst I have ever seen. What I wouldn’t give to sit in a beach chair with my toes in the sand, the sun on my face and a warm breeze blowing with palms swaying in the breeze.
    A Toast to you for your passion & sharing it with other lovers of the island vibe.

Peace & Love, Kristine

RumShopRyan February 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Thanks for the comment Kristine. I still catch myself staring at it in the mirror every once in awhile. I’m not a huge tattoo guy but thought I couldn’t go wrong with this design.

You have been to some great islands! Which one is your favorite?

10 Chesney concerts huh? I’m a little behind you I think and have not met the island cowboy yet. Where did you meet him at?

Stay warm up there and I’ll keep bringing you a taste of the salt life. Cheers.

5. Laura February 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Great tattoo Ryan! I’m not a tattoo girl, either, but that one is cool. Can’t beat Kristine- have only been to 6 KC concerts- including the infamous “rain” show in Dallas in 2009, and the 3 hour make up show (#7 soon come in April). I love that logo- my favorite. Headed to my favorite island- STJ- in 11 days, with a first visit to Nevis, leaving in 7 days. Love those petroglyphs- wear the necklace and hook bracelet every day! So glad I found your blog. Such a nice place to come to for a breath of that island air every day. Thanks for bringing it to us!

RumShopRyan February 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

Hi Laura, thanks for the comment! Enjoy your tip to St. John and Nevis. I too have a cool STJ petroglyph necklace I wear all them time. Got to keep that island spirit alive. Cheers!

7. CaribbeanSoul March 2, 2011 at 5:59 am

Nice tat(good thing I spelled that right!),Ryan! My son is a tattoo artist with one of the oldest parlours in Philadelphia. So far I have 1 tattoo that my son designed for me that pays tribute to him and his sister. He’s now working on one that incorporates the same Taino symbol and the latitude/longitude of STJ. I figure that when senility sets in and I get lost ,whoever finds me will return me to St John! 🙂

RumShopRyan March 2, 2011 at 8:55 am

I like it! If lost please return to… I’m looking to get another petroglyph necklace from this great artisit and it will have the Lat/Long coordinates on the back. Would love to see a photo of your STJ tattoo when you get it done. Just email it to me or you can post it on the RSR facebook page. Cheers!

9. CoconutNetworx July 12, 2011 at 1:25 am

Very Nice!!!
    I have a Parrot Bartender pouring up my Margarita “Original Design” Worked long and hard on the design. I am more on the Parrothead side of the fence, rather than the Chesney Side 🙂 But of course there is a VERY FINE line between the two.

Cheers!!!

RumShopRyan July 12, 2011 at 8:53 am

Very cool! You’ll have to tweet a picture for us to see! Cheers.